Sign in to follow this  
Darth Zach

Modern Society - Is it in decline?

Darth Zach    9

Being close to earning my Master's degree in a social science, I find myself thinking a lot about the oddities of modern society, more specifically, in my own country (USA).  Everything from the decreasing of attention spans because of current entertainment, the seemingly constant yearning for attention in my generation (our generation? most likely) and what that has done to the work ethic, and many other facets. I'd love to hear others opinions on the topic of where modern society is headed and whether you think it is "better" or "worse" than previous generations, and in what aspects. Aaaaaaaaaand........go.

El Barto    157

That's too broad a topic to comment on without writing an essay. Everything is fucked, look at any aspect of society and you can start poking holes in it & identifying the flaws. I'm always disappointed to see how backwards everything is socially, politically, economically, environmentally, especially compared to where it could be. It's really best not to dwell on it too much, learning how not to give a fuck is really hard & many claim they don't but really they do, if you can free yourself of worrying about other peoples problems (which you have no involvement or influence over anyway) then you can work on your own issues & create the best version of yourself, which is all you are responsible for... You & your own interactions with others. Maybe i'm losing you idk. 

If I was too guess, society is headed for a painful period in which technology takes most of our jobs, increases life expectancy dramatically & creates mass poverty until something like universal basic income gets implemented. Cheers! 

• Like 2

Zum Zum Zen    45

I find modern society too materialistic and ignorant. Technology has changed us for sure but I think that we have come to a point where the human race cannot evolve anymore, I really don't see humanity doing better much longer and we will do so great that at one point it's only gonna go downhill and yeah, we'll see what happens then, could not even be in my lifetime but as of now, I'm not too worried.

• Like 1

Darth Zach    9

In terms of peak evolution, I don't believe that humanity has reached it yet. It's incredibly difficult to comment on the evolution of a species during a specific point in time without a total historical narrative of that species. Though I am a man of faith, there's no doubting the process of evolution through the millennia. But in terms of the materialism, I agree 100%. It's ironic seeing the value of the (US) dollar decline throughout the decades, but the person's value/interest/lust of the dollar increase. It's a thing of beautiful disaster to see the craving of attention and fame and popularity among the youngest generation, thinking that is what is best for themselves, while they are totally blind to how much it is really hurting society as a whole. It's incredible to observe the increase of entitlement over such a short period of time, and to be fully honest, not being able to really truly identify a sole source of it. Social media like Vine, Twitter, and Facebook, has created a problem that we are still trying to solve but to what avail? Even in solving the problem, what is the goal that we are working towards achieving? I could go on and on and on for hours, maybe days, about all of this and I'm still curious to see what else you guys and others have to say about it. I'll try to keep my responses somewhat limited as to not dominate the issue, love hearing what others have to think on the subject. 

Darth Zach    9
3 hours ago, Sir Samar said:

life sux man get over it

I...I'm gonna need some time to collect myself after this one. I can't remember the last time I've seen this level of insight and higher intellectual thought processes occur. Thank you for this reply in the "Intellectual Debates" section of the forums.